Lonesome Pine Country Club was established in 1924 by a select group of citizens in the area with a common interest — the development of a top-flight, private country club to serve the residents of Southwest Virginia, Eastern Kentucky and Northeast Tennessee. The golf course played as a nine-hole facility until 1967, when the backside was built to complete the club as an 18-hole course. In 1975, the original log clubhouse fell prey to fire and was replaced with a modern building, complete with state-of-the art lockerrooms, dining room, snack bar, golf pro shop and bag storage. In 1987, ten of the 19 putting greens were replaced with USGA-specified, sand-based greens. In 1998, a wall-to-wall irrigation system was installed and, two years later, all fairways were sprigged in Brute bermudagrass. These improvements have resulted in pristine playing conditions year-round.